Today is my 22nd birthday *dances like she’s 22* I’ve been waiting five years to be able to relate to that song!
When I began planning this “21 Lessons in 21 Years” I felt it would be impossible. There was no way I actually learned this much in my 21 years of life! But when true reflection came along, I realized there were more than 21 lessons I’d learned. I’m writing these to remind myself of all I’ve experienced and how much I’ve grown. And of course, to help you all out as well.
1. You don’t need to Instagram/Snapchat it “or it didn’t happen”. Some things are best kept personal and for your memories only.
2. Not everyone you were friends with in high school will still be your friends.
3. It’s a temporary heartbreak, it won’t last forever.
4. You don’t need to be a size 0 to be “perfect”. You’re fearfully and wonderfully made.
5. College is college, no matter the name. Same goes for a degree.
6. Asking for help won’t be a burden to those you ask.
7. It’s okay to stay home on the weekends. If your “friends” make fun of you for wanting to relax instead of going out, they aren’t your friends.
8. You don’t need to drink to have fun.
9. Take care of yourself mentally. So if the job, friend, or a relationship is causing unnecessary stress or unhappiness you should let it go.
10. Make the most out of your youth! Go on a spontaneous trip or an activity you wouldn’t normally do! I mean “YOLO” right?
11. Talking bad about people says more about you than them.
12. Go after your dreams! If people tell you that you aren’t thinking “realistically” tell them that’s the point! A dream is a dream until you make it your reality.
13. Good things do not come to those who wait! Do your part in what you want to achieve in life! Things do take time, but because it was earned through hard work the wait will be worth it!
14. Your. Body. Is. A. Temple. Take care of it!!!! Exercise, eat healthy, maybe even do some yoga.
15. Spoil yourself a little! You work hard for your money; go get your nails done or go get a massage. You is important!
16. Surround yourself with people who will help you grow. Don’t stay close to people stuck in the same mentality from high school.
17. Distance truly makes the heart grow fonder. If the person is worth it, the relationship/friendship will never fade it’ll only grow stronger.
18. Everything that happens in your life is meant to happen. Don’t get too upset, just learn to work around the bumps on the road.
19. SAVE YO MONEY. You’re gonna move out and get married eventually, which means money is gonna be needed that isn’t mom and dads.
20. Take advantage of everything that you have and make use of all your resources.
21. Appreciate everything and every person in your life. You never know when it’s the last time you’ll ever see them.